Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Inside modern crossovers/signal processors..Is there a digital "protocol" and other questions

I am looking at using an EV DX-34a as a 2 way stereo crossover for Hi-Fi applications to replace a classic, but noisy, luxman unit.
But I know nothing about modern digital electronics. Can someone answer a few (VERY) basic questions for me, please?

1. I assume that apart from the quality loss of going through the A/D and D/A stages there would be no quality loss or addition of noise, distortion etc from the various slope/delay stages etc that occur while the signal is in the digital domain. Is this true or wishful thinking?

2. Once past the A/D input stage is there an industry standard format for the digital signal? And if so is it possible to bypass the input A/D converter with a signal straight from the digital out of a CD transport? (Thereby eliminating a superfluous D/A then A/D stage)

3. Are these sort of units superior to the all analogue active crossovers of the past, or just quieter and more programable?

Thanks in advance for any answers- topogon

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Inside modern crossovers/signal processors..Is there a digital "protocol" and other questions - topogon 02:08:27 11/16/01 (7)

You can not post to an archived thread.