Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Amateur Recording in Home

(a short defense of DATs by an analog geezer)

The only advantage still offered by DAT is compatability with other studios. If I step foot into 20 or 30 studios per year, all except the smallest home studio will have a Panasonic SV3800 somewhere in their racks. I can think of several occasions where the Panasonic DAT was the only common format between two studios. As the owner of an "all analog" studio, I chose the SV3800 as my "port" to other studios. Not everyone that I work with has any of open reel formats that I use, but they are always happy to walk away with a DAT. And as long as 99% of all music is still played off of CD's, DAT's are not the limiting factor of audio performance.

But my personal recommendation for anyone starting out today is to take advantage of the amazing opportunity to purchase the finest analog 2 track 1/4" machines for a small fraction of their original cost. Of all the 2 track machines, only the Ampex ATR102 has held its value. Even Studer A80 varieties are available for as little as $500 in near perfect shape. At those prices, no digital machine can compare. Analog is actually the better buy for as long as the supply of good quality used two tracks holds out. And the supply shows no sign of running dry.

Add a pair of Neumman KM183 omnis for $1100/pair and a Royer R121 for another $900. For $2k, you have three mics capable of recording anything from an entire orchestra to a a jazz trio. The only remaining requirement for the bare bones "starter kit" are 2 or 3 channels of good quality mic preamps. I like the API 212 as the best buy for new preamps; Telefunken V376 modules are my choice for the best deal for used units.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.