Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Seems that after Cello, something went awry...

I know the Cello equipment was wonderful and is still in demand. Red Rose is a very different matter, however. It's all rebranded equipment. F'rinstance, the Rosebud and Rosebud 2 are nothing more than relabeled Aurum Cantus speakers, the amps are relabeled Chinese Korsun amps, etc. All marked up to about 10x original cost. Some of the componentry may be SLIGHTLY different (resistors, etc), but the PCBs, etc are all identical.

Bobcat is simply more of the same. Snake oil. When you decimate a recording and lose resolution, it's gone and there ain't no putting it back. Similar to interpolating a picture, you can't get more "there" than is originally captured. You can change the sound. Those changes may be euphonic. But never will that be true 'resolution'.

So when I see Bobcat advertised as able to make a 128k MP3 sound better than SACD? I know I'm looking at DSP games and processing.

This is especially true as it runs under Windows Media Player and thus kMixer which is hard locked to 48Khz/16 bits. If kMixer sounds so great and is suitable for high-end usage, why is it that just about every decent sound-card and external device includes ASIO and/or other drivers to *bypass* it?

If one likes the sound, fine. Just know that one is paying $200 for what can be achieved with tweaking by using free software such as Audacity and/or Foobar. There's only so much you can do with DSP.

In fact, there's a quote from the Bobcat-man himself:

"It actually improves the signal by adding nearly inaudible high frequency reverberation and subtle tonal balance correction (equalization). "

It's a living, I guess.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Seems that after Cello, something went awry... - beefman 09:14:49 05/08/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.