Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Sub Woofers

Ben .. I knew there would be someone out there to at least question the theory, not oppose it off hand. The JBL 2226 looked very bad on paper and so did the P.Audio clone of it. 15" Pro speakers have too high Fs, but P.Audio 18" Challenger Series looked good in 260 L which I think it really takes to get good deep solid bass, not 38.5 mm excursion from a 12" woofer, 2345 watts input in a 1.63 cu ft box, a port that whistles "Dixie" and boosted like crazy to even try to get 20hz. That's nonsense. It takes big to do big bass correctly. Been to a concert lately?
Model the C18-600LF and C18-650EL and have a look. Think 18's are too big, 20hz is 55 feet long. http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/html/paudio_18_subwoofers.html
Yes Bill, I know it takes full Xmax to reach 110dB, but they should run all day long without harm, and that is roughly 5mm with only 100 watts.
Want more dB or cut excursion a bit? Add another. I do sympathize with those that have space problems. It's not my fault that I do have the room (no wife). The space is there if you want it unless the room is 8 x 10.
Ben (others), you might want to read what Steve has to say about his LLT shelved designs. Just because it's shelved does not mean it must be boosted to get flat. WinISD and UniBox are not too savvy when it comes to acoustics. If done right the room will flatten that right out.
Zene

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Sub Woofers - Zene 17:49:50 02/08/07 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.