Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Sub Woofers

What about "The Almighty Subwoofer"? http://member.newsguy.com/~stigerik/almighty/

The Almighty Subwoofer uses the JBL 2226 and it does require active filters. But I've modeled quite a few high excursion 15" and 18" drivers that work as well or better than the JBL 2226 in similarly designed enclosures. My current favorite 'bang for the buck' driver is the Peavey Low Rider 15" ($176 @ Parts Express). In a 250 liter box tuned to 20-22Hz it requires a 6db shelf filter to get a flat response. A single Low Rider will do 110db or so at the stated Xmax.

Except for the need for an active filter, what is so bad about subwoofers built like this? Do they sound bad? Does the modeling not work out right? I haven't built anything like this, but I was planning on doing something like the Almighty Subwoofer here soon. I'd like to know why it wouldn't work. My own interest in this is because I was looking at building some high efficiency home theater speakers using pro sound drivers, and a couple subwoofers with pro sound drivers seems to me like they would be a better "match".

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.