Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

better at listening?...

"Is there a chance that the sound tracks of the past had audiences who were better at listening?"

No, I don't think they were better at listening. I think that most people who buy sound systems think their sound salesman knows what he is doing and talking about when in reality few do. The customer just wants the problem solved and they don't care how it's solved. Fox, Metro, Warner, and FP Lasky theaters used university trained EE and acousticians, Western Electric and RCA engineers to set up a theater. They knew what they were doing. Plane wave horns haven't advanced very much because they are big and people equate big with "Old". There is also a feeling that there must be a more modern way of doing things. "That which is new must be BETTER!" Bruce Edgar in California and the people at Klipsch are the only ones that I know of still building and selling folded horns. It's till the most efficient form of speaker and IMHO produces the least amount of distortion. They are big and unsightly and too often the room decor votes them out. It depends on what the priorities are and sound quality has IMHO taken a back seat. Cordially, Ray Hughes
"I take you as you are
And make of you what I will,
Skunk-bear, carcajou, bloodthirsty
Non-survivor.
Lord, let me die but not die out." THE LAST WOLVERINE by James Dickey

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.