Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Thanks, Troy!

I can appreciate your being disenchanted with most of todays major manufacturers of pro audio speakers( i'm with you). I can appreciate your respect for some of the older equipment that was truly ahead of its time. I have own several pairs of the Altec 604s and can tell you that they absolutely cannot produce hign enough spl for a 5000 seat auditorium. Even if they could you still missed the point, which is that you would have to play them very loudly for sound to reach those sitting at the back. Because of the distance you would have too much of a drop in volume by the time the sound reached the back, and the people up front would be blasted. Even the best sounding, high effeciency, cone speaker is yet subject to the inverse square law. Then there is the matter of horizontal dispersion. You would probably need a horizontal dispersion pattern of at least 120 degrees in order to cover the width of a 5000 seat auditorium. Maybe the 604s successfully reinforced the area i which you were sitting but the laws of physics make it impossibe for them to do so if you were sitting anywhere other than the 1st few rows of seating. I have removed the 604s from at least 5 installs, kept them and ran them at their max. They cannot successfully reinforce a 5000 seat room. Even if you stacked them the waveguides are not isophasic, so you would have severe comb filtering and lobing issues.
Don't allow your disdain for the "major manufacturers to close your mind to the fact that there are some smaller innovative companies that have designed speaker systems as good an better than some of the older ones. Older is not always better and neither is newer but I try to keep an open mind, or I might miss out on somethig that sounds great.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.