Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

With certain amps you can do it, for example:

I have a new Samson SX3200 with four 10,000uF/100v supply caps per channel. That is low by audiophile standards for an amp with 750wpc.
Even stranger is an SX1800 I'm evaluating and considering turning into a super amp with extensive mods. It uses two 4700/100 electrolytics per supply channel. That seems very low for an amp with 400 wpc+. I know the energy storage in joules is determined by the formula C X V squared/2 and so voltage is the more important factor than C with it being squared etc. Remarkably the amp has no noise/hum whatsoever and has tremendous slam. Both amps use sizeable toroidal transformers which is another huge factor in recharging speed/regulation.
I'll double the values with the 1800 and leave the 3200 alone. Both have inrush current suppression so higher supply capacitance will likely not threaten the bridge diodes, fuses, etc. Fun fun!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • With certain amps you can do it, for example: - nightdoggy 08:38:09 11/24/06 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.