Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: A question from an amateur

If you're asking that question, you're already ahead of "the curve". (haha, I'm funny.)

The answer is yes. The amount of difference depends on the venue. An empty nightclub with a hard floor, hard walls, hard chairs, etc. (beer and booze ends up everywhere) will change a lot when it's filled with people. On the other hand, a concert hall with cushioned seats (especially if they're also upholstered on the underside of the seat), carpeting in some areas, etc. will change less.

But EQ'ing for the house is just the beginning. Balancing the sound of the musicians is another issue. Especially in the nightclub situation, the band often sounds like "boom, cymbal wash, snare crack, distorted guitar" accompanied by unintelligible vocals and some distant horns.

So, please tell me that you don't bring up the range below about 125 Hz to "get more bass". All you're going to do is bottom out the woofers and end up reconing them. Usually, what we're looking for is "punch", not rumble. Punch is more in the range of 125 to 250 Hz. So set the very low end where you want it, and then add punch by bringing up the the overtones.

And on the vocal channels, roll off everything below 150 (unless the main event is a bass singer, in which case, cut it below 125 and don't tell him ;) ) and above 10 KHz. It'll tighten up your sound and reduce the cymbal wash and guitar distortion bleed.

Think "what frequency range does this mic need to pick up?" and chop the rest.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: A question from an amateur - Inmate51 08:18:28 10/18/06 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.