Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: How do YOU set PA levels?

Not a pro sound guy _big grin_

And I guess it's gonna be different in different venues.

Just came from a wedding tonight.

Probably 250 people.

six? piece band setup across from the diaz where the wedding party was seated.

I was at a table right below and to the right. It shouldn't have been that bad a place in terms of where I was seated.

Absolutely horrible sound.

Highs were bright - lows were boomy, mids were sucked out except for the vocals - couldn't hear any chords from the guitar or keyboard.

Walked past the band - sounded OK up there - too loud, of course - but it's always loud at the front.

They had a conga player that didn't seem to add much, to me.

I told my wife - too bad, they can't get that guy to earn his pay by walking around the room once or twice and giving them some hand signals until they get a decent balance.

Granted, it was a hard room full of tables and people - come on, they were supposed be pros -

My wife and I had to leave early, to take my elderly parents home.

Glad we had an excuse to leave early -

They didn't have a seperate board and sound guy - so maybe my post isn't relevant for a pro sound forum -_grin_

My point is that if you don't have a man on the job, you need to send somebody around the room to listen and see what it sounds like to your audience.

Or maybe my point is - you're not gonna believe how bad it can sound out in the audience if you're not on top of this.

End of rant

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.