Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Is the latest BBE 882i Maximizer totally different than the original beast?

I have been searching the archives and of course I find alot of maximizer bashing. The post that peaks my curiosity the most is one from Adam Reed who says he developed the circuit and it only boosts the bass and treble. Specifically he says :

"Here's what the "Magic BBE" does:

1-the bass is boosted below around 200 Hz
2-the highs above around 2kHz are dynamically boosted based on midrange level
3-either the mids or highs (can't remember--it's been 15 years) are flipped in phase.

thassall. Yes, it makes cheap stuff sound a lot better. But time alignment? Not really."

On the other hand the BBE website talks about it differently and also mentions that it "Corrects Distortion, Corrects phase delay". Then they show some pictures of what appears to be corrected square wave measurements from speakers (or something similar in time signature).

So here's my long question longer. Is the latest BBE sonic maximizer a worthy tool for the home studio and for recording from a mixer into an A/D converter? Or is it just a tone control? Obviously I don't expect it to be the end all to solving all sonic problems and I would use it sparingly in hopes to get a small improvement. Would I be wasting my money on this thing?

Thanks for any opinions about this.
QE

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Is the latest BBE 882i Maximizer totally different than the original beast? - Quiet Earth 22:47:42 10/02/06 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.