Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: tweeters on Peavey 115h?

If the tweeters are two separate horns, then they are Motorola piezo super tweeters. If the tweeter is a single horn with a vertical divider between the two drivers, they are also Motorola piezo's. Piezo drivers generally have a freq response of 5k to 20 or 30k. These drivers are no longer Motorola but now are CTS. If you need the separate horns, look at mcminone.com. They have super horns for about $1.80 each.(NOT Motorola but OK). If you need the drivers for the dual horn as mentioned above, I recommend buying official Motorola/CTS piezo super tweeters, as you can remove the driver more easily than off brands. I've run into glue problems with 'off brands'. And last but not least, find a Peavey repair shop to get the piezo drivers. You may pay a little more.
As far as the XLR connections on the back; I use to work for a Peavey dealer in both sales then as a repair tech and I've seen my share of older PV's with these. It's a crazy proposition, but I guess they were thinking of some sort of locking scheme. I think they used a female XLR so someone would not think they could plug a mic directly into the speaker and expect sound.(chuckle). If it were me I'd find a way to install either 1/4" jacks or preferably Neutrik Speakon connectors in place of the XLR's.
I almost forgot; I also recommend placing a 20ohm/5W resistor in series with the piezo's. They can be wired in parallel (if not already) with just one resistor per pair. This protects the amplifier against the capacitive characteristics of piezo's.
Sorry if I've rambled.
Creig

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.