Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: S.E.T. Amplifiers for Sound Reinforcement

[b]No pro-touring sound company would use SETs today, as they lack the power and road-worthyness required. [/b]

THAT is exactly why. That and that no one in the audience would notice anyway. Or care.

For example, I build PA speakers from birch ply. I have had many ask why, mdf is more sonically "dead" whereas ply has resonances. There are many reasons why I chose ply. It is far stronger than mdf. The corners don't crumble when bumped. It holds screws better. And someone has to move those things in and out of the truck. Ply is half the weight. And the real topper is, not once has anyone come up to me at a gig and said, "I can hear some resonances in your PA speakers". Not once. So, they sure aren't going to notice or care if you used tube amps.

As far as guitarists liking tubes... that's fine. That amp is the guitarists' responsibility. If he shows up at a gig and his stuff does not work, he'll have to run his stuff through the PA or another amp, and I'll warn him. Or if he screws up my gig I'll fire him and hire another guy. Sorry, that's the reality. I bring backup saxes to gigs, backup mics, cables, PA amps, speakers to gigs, the guitar playerbrings his backup amp-- and it's SS.

But back to the reliability thing, they damn sure care if you show up for a gig and your gear doesn't work, or is intermittant, noisey, etc.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: S.E.T. Amplifiers for Sound Reinforcement - Paul C. 09:18:32 09/20/06 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.