Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Not since about 1939.....

for mo pic theatres driving very large plane wave horns that could be driven with one watt to about 100db/1meter. These horns had a low cut off not lower than about 40hz. Even in the late forties and fifties most of the tube amps in theatres were Class AB push pull. Yes, they are used by hi-end audiophiles and for good reason. They sound very good! These would be too fragile for your average rocker to lug around. Besides the public doesn't want QUALITY. They want QUANTITY. I went to an IMAX movie the other night. You would think that Imax would have among the best in audio reproduction. Not true. I would venture to say that there was more distortion being produced in that new, modern IMAX system than in any SET/horn system being used in the 40s. Why because only two companies were responsible, Western Electric and RCA. Every theatre had to pass a proof of performance test by engineers before the theatre could admit the public. This Imax presentation was doing nothing but shaking the walls. Direct radiator woofers bottoming out, solid state amps clipping like gangbusters. They were trying to reproduce down to 20 hz and that is just not very possible without producing a lot of distortion with it. In most modern public performances using sound reinforcement, the sound quality I've heard is abysimal compared with the heyday of Cinerama in the late 50s and early 60s. Ray Hughes
"I take you as you are
And make of you what I will,
Skunk-bear, carcajou, bloodthirsty
Non-survivor.
Lord, let me die but not die out." THE LAST WOLVERINE by James Dickey

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Not since about 1939..... - grhughes 07:21:50 09/19/06 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.