Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Recommendation for Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

The transformer acts as a band-pass filter, which will not only block DC voltages (many components operate less effectively in the presence of DC), but block high frequency noise (the transformer coils act as an RF choke). Secondly, if the transformer provides balanced AC out (+ 60 Volts on one leg and - 60 Volts on the other leg), any noise that is picked up by components' power cords and extension cords is cancelled through common mode rejection (CMR). This happens when the balanced legs are combined to produce 120 Volts. Because the noise is the same polarity on each leg, but the voltage is inverted on one with respect to the other, the noise gets cancelled out between the two AC voltages. Also, a benefit with balanced power is that you are then placing the
ground, which may be referenced one way or another by the signal circuits, in the "eye" of the hurricane, so to speak, of the power currents of the AC line, so that the ground itself is cleaner, providing a cleaner reference for the signal circuits.

Once again...

I am merely making the point that an isolation transfomer with
filter circuitry is the ultimate AC power conditioning

I didnt specify the wiring of the transformer

You can research it til the sun goes down and the bottom line is
what is the best power conditioning available from the trash
that is fed to your home from the electric company

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.