Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

I hate my Mackies . . . . . Hate 'em.

Really, no joke. I'm not trying to be difficult but maybe I can save some of you from making the same mistake I did. I heard the Mackie 824s at a buddy's house more than once and I was always impressed by how much sound came out of them. "Damn, that's a real good value" I thought. After the honeymoon was over with them I began to realize that it's impossible to make any intelligent mixing decisions on them. I have to keep taking my hard disk recorder over to my home stereo to really hear what's going on. What a pain in the ass.

The Mackie's might be robust, fun, and great at a party, but they are grossly overrated as tools for the studio. They make everything sound the same. And when everything sounds the same, none of your work sounds good. Forget about translation. It's only guess work.

Right now I'm researching the possibility of a very simple speaker and amp to replace them so I can hear what's going on before I burn a CD.
Live and learn,
QE

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.