Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Am I more likely to find flat nearfield response in....

Probably hard to say... My vote would be in the pro gear, especially if they are active, because the pro speaker manufacturer has chosen the right amp to achieve the flat response. They also have designed the speaker to be flat near-field (read without room reflections). The hi-fi manufacturer may have in mind room boundaries, and also may be more inclined to offer a more euphonic sound that the competitors. Anyhow, I have owned a lot of speakers (dynamic, electrostatics, and magnepan, from Bose 301 to Polk RT12, Definitive Tech BP8, BW 601s, lots of 2-way DIY and more recently B&W CDM-9NT, Aerius i, MMGs, MG12s...), and I recently picked up the Dynaudio pro BM5A monitors.
I believe the biggest thing that I have gained with the Dyns over similar speakers is optimal amplification (I have owned relatively cheap amps with the other passive speakers), which translates into deeper and more controlled bass, incredible dynamics and transients, superior detail and texture. Also, pro studio monitors usually offer a built-in EQ to adapt the speakers to the environment.
So depending on your budget (your goal obviously getting flat sound), the studio monitors may fit your bill...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.