Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

? 4 Bill about recent AX horn monitor article

Bill, i recently read your article pertaining to the horn loaded monitor in Audio Xpress. My questions to you revolve around driver selection, the test results and altering the tuning of the cabinet.

As a point of reference, i was thinking about building four of these monitors using the PE Dayton woofers. My thinking behind this was to use three spread across the front of the stage and one near the drummer. Using a stereo amp running dual mono signals, this would provide a nominal 4 - 6 ohm load across the band with two cab's paralleled across each channel of the amp. The amp i had in mind will deliver appr 250 - 275 wpc x 2 @ 4 ohms. Does this sound reasonable to you for use in smaller venues working with high spl rock n roll ?

1) Were the published test results measured using the Eminence or PE Dayton driver? Obviously, frequency response and sensitivity will vary quite noticeably and that's why i ask.

2) What is the maximum "clean" spl that one can achieve with the PE Dayton driver at appr 6' or so?

3) What specific reasons did you choose 100 Hz as a cut-off for this design? How much difference in the various performance aspects ( max spl, power handling, frequency response linearity ) if this design was tuned to appr 80 Hz or so with a sharp active low pass filter below that point?

4) From what i recall, you don't make mention of using a padding resistor on the piezo's. With four of these wired in parallel per cabinet, won't you run into impedance related issues? If so, what value would you recommend with this specific design?

5) Is there really going to be a huge advantage going to the Eminence over the PE Dayton driver? Bare in mind that i purchase at wholesale costs from PE, so i could snag 3 of the Dayton's for the price of one Eminence.

Thanks for your time and i appreciate your "bang for the buck" approach. Sean
>

PS... Are you missing the Moto piezo's as much as i am???

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - ? 4 Bill about recent AX horn monitor article - Sean 11:28:08 08/28/05 (4)

You can not post to an archived thread.