Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Confusing quality with distortion

Hi Darryl,

"All a matter of taste. I like output, as I find total refinement a bit too laid back. I was down the smooth and refined path, but now I prefer a raw and powerful (and clean) sound."

Most audiophile (or "home" oriented) gear operates at -10. That's not the same as not having the "headroom", which is an expression of dynamic capabilities.

If it's "too laid back" it isn't refined, its colored. "Smooth" is also a type of distortion of the input as everything isn't smooth. If this is your picture of "good high end", you must know that you've never heard "good high end" and there are many pleasant sonic surprises awaiting you.

Neither is everything "raw". Any component, whether it calls itself "Pro" or not, that superimposes such a character on what passes through it is a coloration device not a truthful reproducer of its input.

Truly good high end is smooth when the input is smooth and raw when the input is raw and has the capabilities of blowing your socks off with dynamics. I'm not talking super expensive either. But an open mind and open ears ARE necessary to find these components.

Happy Listening!
Barry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Confusing quality with distortion - bdiament 08:32:54 05/04/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.