Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: What exactly is the "No-Noise" system.......

No-Noise, is a noise reduction system forming part of Sonic Solutions audio editors on macs. Along with Cedar, they are the two best commercial systems available, albeit at a price! Like many tools, they are very powerful, but have to be used with extreme care. To often people get power crazy with the amount of noise that can be removed and overdo it, this has lead to many poor noise reduction jobs, done by inexperienced or injudicial engineers. If handled correctly significant improvements can be made to previously awful masters that otherwise would never see light of day. Well done noise reduction is virtually "invisible", but the downside is removing noise from old masters often shows up other inadaquecies of the original recordings previously masked. As in all mastering work its a judgement call, having used Cedar noise reduction I can tell you its impressive (I haven't used No-noise, but its of a similar standard). Channel 4 television in the UK bought a complete suite of Cedar products for cleaning up the audio tracks of old films. Suddenly you were aware of the ambience in the room and the dialogue was much clearer. Infinitely better than the original. From the point of view of being able to listen to many old classical and jazz performances its benefit is clear, and I would suggest you listen to old restored material before you buy, and if the sound is acceptable to you, given the musical performance I would not let yourself be put off.

Regards

Roland

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.