Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Tubes are the way to go. Also a question about measuring distortion, anybody.

I think tubes do sound different and better. Some say this is just because of their distortions, but I think we don't have sophisticated enough measurement techniques to make that judgement, and even if it is correct, who cares what the reason is -- they just sound better. Fuller, easier on the ears. You can get plenty loud and funky with tubes -- Jimi Hendrix could tell you if he were around. But I admit you are talking a lot of extra hardware and hassle to get the wattage you want.

The reason I question modern measurement techniques is we don't seem have a way to measure distortion on a complex musical signal. Maybe ten years ago I read an interview with an amplifier designer, Richard May, where he said that you can't predict the distortion on multiple tones from the distortion when only one or two frequencies are played. With today's digital signal analysis techniques perhaps you could, by sampling the output and spectrally decomposing the difference from the input, but I don't see where anyone has done this. Have they?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.