Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Minimizing woofer dynamic compression (RBP??)

I'm working on a custom loudspeaker system that will use a horn (probably a TAD) and one or more woofers. Obviously, I want to get the least possible compression/best possible dynamics from the woofer section.

So, I have three questions:

1. Other than efficiency, what factors make a significant difference as far as minimizing woofer dynamic compression? This will help me narrow down my woofer choices (specific recommendations enthusiastically appreciated).

2. Do muliple woofers give you better dynamics than a single woofer of the same model? In this application size and maximum volume aren't really an issue, but best possible dynamics is.

3. If multiple woofers are used, what's the best way to hook them up to minimize compression? For example, should two 8-ohm woofers be hooked up in series or in parallel? Should four 8-ohm woofers be hooked up in series, parallel, or series-parallel?

Any and all advice/anecdotes/speculation appreciated.

Thanks!

Duke

PS - I'm double-posting both here and at the High Efficiency Asylum since both groups may have suggestions, but there seems to be only limited crossover between the two groups.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Minimizing woofer dynamic compression (RBP??) - Duke 03:10:02 04/16/02 (5)

You can not post to an archived thread.