Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: I'm Not

Roland,

Why would you assume that 600 ohm is incorrect? The standard mics you see every day in live sound are still the Shure SM57 and SM58 and these are 600 ohm mics. Don't confuse your experiance in recording with live sound reinforcement.

I got the cable roll-off formula from my copy of the "Yamaha Guide to Sound System Engineering". This is actually just the standard calculation for capacitive impedance, the -3dB point occurs when the cable impedance equals the source impedance.

The reality can actually be worse than I stated since some mixer boards don't have particularly high input impedance mic preamps (at one time the standard for these was 600 ohms, but modern consoles are now normally somewhere around 6K-7K ohm input impedance). If your mixers input impedance is on the low side then you will see the effects of excessive cable capacitance even sooner.

I'm not just making this stuff up. Read any audio engineering book and they will agree with me, excessive cable capacitance is not a good thing, especially in a snake cable. My snakes (I have a 150 ft, and a 250 ft snake cable) both have multi-pin connectors which means I can easily daisy chain them in case I ever need an extra-long run. Why would I want to buy a snake cable that won't let me do that?

Phil

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: I'm Not - Haldor 15:02:05 04/02/02 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.