Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Results of a very quick test...

...In fact the math using a more correct source impedance of 150 ohms gives a -3dB point at 67kHz using the starquad at 158pF per metre, and a -3dB point of 246kHz for the Belden. -Now that seems more like it!!!

-Certainly, the lower the capacitance the better, but for short runs in hostile environments, the Starquad -or similar- always gets my vote. -We have an account with Clark, so I normally go with their 'mink-4' cable, which is also a quad.

Frequently overlooked in installations (in addition to the very valid point of spacing cables where possible) is the grounding scheme. -Sometimes you have to star ground with far-end shields lifted, sometimes this forms a nice little antenna-array, and you have to take some of the far-end shields to ground with a small capacitor... sometimes you have to connect both ends... sometimes you're connecting unbalanced sources to balanced inputs, sometimes it's the other way round... Some manufacturers (Like MCI!) used to make the decision for you by installing the shield capacitors on the unit!

-An expensive cable will do you no good at all if the grounding scheme isn't properly worked out... -In fact a friend of mine recently invited me over to hear his new home system. -It took me less than three seconds to tell him that the whole thing was 'out of phase'... -We checked the connections... everything looked good... -finally I got the trusty ol' fluke meter out of the car. -Turns out that one of his (rather expensive, hand-made audio-salon type) speaker cables had a polarity flip... -He'd been listening fairly happily to the system for some weeks... -I'll never trust an opinion from him again!!! ;-)

Technically yours,
Keith

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Results of a very quick test... - SSL tech 13:35:28 04/02/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.