Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Technical question for the Pros using yesterdays gear with todays (long)

Hello Rick. May have missed it, but it's not clear to me whether you primarily want to archive master recordings having more than two tracks. If not -- that is, if you want to archive mainly two-track masters and LPs, etc., did you notice that Tascam recently started selling a version of their high-density 8-track prosumer deck (a version of the Model 98-HD, I think) that records in the Sony DSD format (1-bit, 2.8 MHz): 2 tracks DSD capacity on the machine (which does 8 tracks at 24-bit/96kHz) -- I think the list price is under six-thousand dollars. I also wonder if you've considered going direct to stereo FM analogue audio on videotape. I've heard complaints about the VHS Hi Fi system for this purpose (a reported ripple around 40 Hz, as I recall, from the switching between the heads on the drum). I've used a Sony Hi-8 analogue videocam with FM stereo analogue audio (TRV series) for archiving, and it sounds pretty good to me. It seems that Sony has stopped making FM audio videocams since they've switched their sonsumer line to mostly digital (the few low-priced analogue models they now list apparently aren't FM analogue audio), but there are probably still some of them around for sale. I'd be curious to know what expereinces others on this list have had with using VCRs or videocams with FM analogue stereo audio for recording sound. I remember the reviews and test-reports when the first models (VHS) came on the market in the mid-80s -- there was a lot of excitement about the quality (signal-to-noise is something like 90 dB, and very extended frequency response because of effective tape-speed of something like 400 ips thanks to rotating heads. In those early reports didn't hear any complaints about noise from the head-switching. I wonder if any of the higher-end video-studio type VHS VCRs (with audio meters, etc.) are made to good enough tolerances to avoid that problem.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.