Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Ban compressors from Audio

Well I'm a current professional audio engineer, working in classical and jazz mainly. Of course there are three chord wonders out there, but there are many good professional players as well, I know because I work with them. Its easy to be dismissive of current music, and technology, and there is a lot of crap talked about valve gear. I've used good valve gear and good modern gear. Some modern kit is amazingly good, some not, but that was the same in the 50's and 60's. A lot of who you are calling so called three chord wonders, play vintage gear, so the argument that its their amps doesn't stand up. As to compression, it was the watchword of recordings done in the 50's and 60's and before. It was virtually impossible to record without the use of compressors at those times because of the noise factor from tape machines.

I've recently been remastering some recordings of Hendrix from 67 and the record quality is far from wonderful, mainly due to the inherent technical limitations of the equipement used. There are some nice vintage mic amps, but there are many good modern ones, there are some nice vintage compressors, equally there are modern ones that are just as good. As for microphones, there are some great modern ones, and some classic vintage ones, most that are still being used today.

With the advent of surround sound in a usable format, sound recording is probably more exciting now than any time in the past since the early Abbey Road days. Musically I am inclined to agree, that maybe the average standard is lower, however there are always those that excel in any field, and I would respectively suggest that today we only remember the great acts of the past 40-50 years, so it is not really fair to compare this years output alongside all that have gone before, there are good acts out there, but you have to search them out, and appreciate them for what they do.

Regards

Roland

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.