Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: question about mixing boards

Busses as you are describing them are multitrack outputs. ie 8 buss console like the Mackie has eight tape outputs at once. This is further complicated by the fact that in the mackies case it also has direct outs meaning that you can record a channel direct out to the tape machine. when we talk about 12/4/2 console that means 12 input channels 4 group busses (where you would normally assign your multitrack outputs) and a stereo master buss. 24/16/2 would be 24 inputs 16 group busses and stereo buss. The benefit with busses are the ability to pan/mix signals across a stereo pair. ie you have 10 mics on a kit, but you want to end up with only two tracks as you are using a 8 track recorder. The recommendations you have recieved for consoles are resonable, the Mackie is very good for the money, the behringer is good and very cheap, but I would look out for a secondhand Allen & Heath GS3, They are selling for ridiculous prices secondhand, and in my opinion are the best console in this catagory. The Mackies mic amps are very quiet, but have a slightly "odd" quality to the sound. I can talk as I own one, amongst others.

Good luck

Regards Roland

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.