Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: That is a full plate to consider.

You want mics that cost less than $250 each and you are talking about using silver audiophile cables? Put your priorities straight. Get better mics and use good quality commercially made cables.

Not to rain on your parade, but mic cables need to be flexible, non-microphonic (since they get moved around while you are using them), and durable. I doubt if homebuilt audiophile cables (no matter what kind of metal they are made out of) are going to perform as well as any decent quality commercially made mic cable. If you can point me to any serious recording engineer who uses homemade silver mic cables I would be astounded. All of those recordings you go wow over on your tweeked to the max, hi-fi system were recorded using plain jane copper conductor commercial mic cables.

If you are serious about making your own mic cables, then be sure to use twisted pair wiring with good coverage braided shields (french braid is best). Don't try to use single ended cables for your mics or your noise floor will go up. Besides any decent mic-preamp is going to expect XLR connectors anyways. If all your stuff has are 1/4" connectors, then you have junk gear and all the fancy cables in the world aren't going to change that.

Phil

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: That is a full plate to consider. - Haldor 16:36:20 03/14/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.