Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Comrade, Try the 'People's Neumann'

dee,

I use HD recording at home of classical: either piano,harpsichord, sometimes with gamba, plus clavichord, and even a MIDI used to simulate organ. Vistors have recorded jazz. I use a Peavey VMP 2 all tube mic pre with vintage NOS tubes and this goes to an Audiowerk 2 sound card onto PC HD and then CD. This is always with only a single mic pair.

After using Shure 5596Ds for a year, I borrowed a few microphones to try and I liked my friends' Neumann KM84s best as well as AKG B-ULS C414s. The Schoeps and M147 were nice too!

These are all expensive but the Russian Oktava M012 is based on a near copy of the KM84 for(then)$160 each. Oktava make a large diaphragm condenser also. I find small diaphragm easier to place with less unpredicted results.

I was warned about the inconsistent build quality so when I went to Guitar Center, I took 12 M012s into their preamp room and got a pair of reasonably similar sound, though I'm convinced one is a little hotter than the other.

Mine are cardioid but there are interchangable capsules. They come with a screw in -20dB pad and in a very attractive ribbed beige plastic box. None of this matched stereo pair in a cherry presesntation box with a brass plaque! This is the 'People's Neumann'!

Quite smooth, very good bass to the bottom of the piano, good highs, good off axis rejection, quiet. They are very sensistive and sensisive to placement. I tried A/B with the KM84 and the Oktavas are not too bad. My experience has been less great with vocal on the M012s.

But good results on a budget!

The Oktava experience is positive enought that I have put off my intended Neumann KM184 purchase much longer than I thought.

By the way, you could buy the KM184s for just over $400 each direct from Germany. Used, in your range, you might see the AKG C3XX series with interchangable CKXX capsules- very nice for keyboard also.

Cheers,

Bambi B

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.