Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Dynamic linearity/efficiency question for RBP

Greetings RBP,

I've read and enjoyed your posts regarding dynamic linearity (or efficiency linearity, as I believe you more precisely call it), and I think you are right on the money. If memory serves me, you found that a 96 dB efficiency is probably ideal for neither dynamically compressing nor expanding the sound. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, suppose I take a 110 dB efficient horn and pad it down to match a 96 dB efficient woofer system. Does the horn exhibit the dynamic linearity behavior predicted by its inherent 110 dB efficiency, or its padded-down 96 dB efficiency?

Suppose rather than padding down the horn, I bi-amplify, so now the horn is 110 dB efficient but with the input level to its amplifier turned down. I assume that now the relative volume of the woofer and horn will be level-dependent, and at high volumes the horn will "run away" from the woofer (assuming the relative levels are set for low or medium volume listening). Is this correct?

Now suppose I take four 90 dB efficient woofers and wire them in series-parallel to get 96 dB efficiency. Does their dynamic linearity correspondingly improve?

Thank you for any light you (or anyone else) can shine in this direction.

Best wishes,

Duke

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Dynamic linearity/efficiency question for RBP - Duke 21:28:21 02/06/02 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.