Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Assisting with church's system upgrade

Hi brain echo,

Feedback eliminaters can be useful for the spoken word, but can cause problems of their own for music or singing. The best way I've seen to use a Feedback eliminater is plugged into an insert on a single channel with a mic used only for the spoken word. I would never trust one of the "seek and destroy" automatic feedback eliminators on the main speakers.

Actually the key to preventing feedback is fixing your speaker system and controlling stage volume. If you have a well designed, properly installed speaker system then you find it is actually pretty difficult to get it to feed back. Last week I rearranged my sound booth and rung out the monitor eq (it's been 6 months or so since I last checked and stuff happens). I decided to see how well my pastors lavier mic worked out in the santuary. I was able to walk out in front of the central cluster, turn around and face the speakers and didn't get the slightest hint of feedback. That would have been unthinkable with our old speaker system.

Bose is a great marketing organization, but their products are not very well thought of by most sound professionals. The big problem you are normally fighting is directional control to keep sound on the audiance and off the ceiling/walls. Non-directional speakers (Bose are by design actually anti-directional) usually have little advantage to offer in sound reinforcement. Bose may sound ok for playing back prerecorded music, but normally will not give clear, intelligible sound in most churchs. What is really strange is that for some reason Bose has decided to target the church sound market and is aggressively going after that business even though they don't have the right products to serve them.

I have heard rumblings about a new line array product about to be released by Bose that is supposed to have good directional control. If this is true then I would consider them, but there is nothing in their current product line that I would consider for use in a church.

Phil

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.