Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

"home" studio space? (long)

Like many other city dwellers, my home studio has far outgrown the space available for it. It doesn't help that I prefer to record "live to 2 track" - NO building songs up one track at a time. All of this gear is useless if I can't have a band play together.
So, I need to find a suitable space away from home for the studio. That doesn't mean that I'm going to try and turn this into a business, I just need more space than is available at home.

If I was wealthy, this would be a great opportunity. Studios go out of business almost every day here in LA and there are always some great rooms available for rent. But I can't afford a couple of grand per month for what is already an expensive hobby. I am in discussions now with a potential partner; I certainly don't need unlimited 24/7 access to the studio and a partner would make the rent situation a lot easier to handle. Assuming that there are two of us looking for space, we still come up short of what a nice little 2 room studio would cost to rent (at LA prices). So I'm looking for alternative ideas for finding some space.

The two obvious ideas are: 1)finding some raw space and dividing it into two rooms ourselves, 2)finding an existing studio that has a spare room that they would like to sub-let. Option #1 would be a LOT of work for guys who have full time jobs, but the current business climate has produced a glut of empty space around town. Option #2 would be a lot harder to find, but it is feasible in LA due to the huge number of studios struggling to stay open. Option #2 would also allow us to start recording as fast as we could set up our gear.

Has anybody out there discovered any other ways to move a home studio out of the house without writing massive rent checks every month? No idea is too extreme, I want to explore all posibilities.

thanks

steve
lex125@pacbell.net
digital? I'm still not sure about transistors....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - "home" studio space? (long) - hollywood_steve 08:56:30 01/22/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.