Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Multiple monitor mixes( how to get enough seperate outputs)

How do pros do monitors at a live show? Do they use a seperate
mixer?

Usually there is a separate mixer. Especially for larger venues and tours. These boards are made specifically to do monitors with many sends (imagine a standard mixer with no master section). When there is not a separate mixer you usually don't do more than 2-3 sends for the monitors (front mix and drum mix for instance). Another reason to use a separate mixer, is that you can taylor the eq on stage for the monitors different than the front of house.

I have a mixer with six Aux sends, and I need five different
monitor mixes. The problem is that once I send it through my
monitor amp, I only have two seperate outputs. Do I have to have
an amp for each mix?

Yes. Often you end up with more amps for monitors than FOH (especially if every one of them is bi-amped).

Another thing I'm wondering is this: Is it better to have the
system EQ generally in a smile or a frown?

Neither. You usually have a 31 band eq per mix, and start with what makes the monitor sound good (usually pretty flat with often a drop of 3-6 db in the 315-500 range to get some of that woofiness out) and then use the eq to knock out feedback prone frequencies (such as 1k that usually likes to go).

Good monitors is an art. You have a very small audience (those on stage) but if they aren't happy the show will suffer greatly.

chris m

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Multiple monitor mixes( how to get enough seperate outputs) - Chris M 06:42:07 01/14/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.