Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Advice needed about building tube mike and line preamps

Gday I was looking at old neve line and pre amps and I thought I could build nice tube line and Mic preamps with nice rare nos tubes wired point to point like old Ampex units only but with better quality parts and trans. Is there a market for that sort of gear anymore or is it too basic to be user friendly like modern gear to be useful.

I do think given a few years to study designs and test I could build some really special sounding units but nothing exotic just 60's technology basically. But special one a month milled from solid bronze silver point to point esoteric tubes like 15e, 3c24 dht or maybe just more efficient tubes like c3m or g for mike pre's with vintage telsa permalloy input trans or magnequest if more bandwidth is required.

I could do more vintage units with parts with providence for eg Today I just found trans out of a neve that where used to record acdc on in the 70's. I could build a custom acdc tube neve line amp. Price point about 2 k with 12 tubes of each used with lifetime labor warranty against defects and reasonable service fees. Could I earn enough money to insure my house so I could stop worry about it burning down you know could it be a small part time job that I could make ten grand a year out of. Would people want this sort of equipment? Basically stuff I would like to buy if I wanted to record on a non commercial level I guess.

Please if you already do this stuff I dont need you come kick my teeth in incase I steal your work. I live far far away in Australia ;)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Advice needed about building tube mike and line preamps - amnesiac 21:27:09 09/21/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.