Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Best single-point Stereo mic $1000 or under.

Rode makes a very nice mic. Audio-Technica also makes a couple. Google "AT8022". Either one would make a nice mic. Shure makes the VP88, which is a mid-side stereo mic, and may or may not meet your needs. I don't know for sure if Sennheiser does, but you could google "Sennheiser stereo microphone" to find out.

You might instead consider one of those small, hand-holdable stereo digital recorders like Sony, Marantz, Olympus, Tascam, Edirol, and others make. Mics and recorder in one handy package. Many, if not all, have mic stand mounting capability.

Regarding the "90 degree angle" you mentioned. That's more of a starting point than anything else. The appropriate angle between capsules depends on several factors, including size of the ensemble, distance from it, desired stereo "spread", the specific pickup pattern of the mics, etc.

The ORTF approach was intended to standardize the recording setup used by the ORTF broadcasting organization, but in practice, spacing and angle can vary quite a bit. Your experiment sounds like it suffered from the "hole in the middle" problem. As with XY, the best positioning is the result of many of the same factors.

Given your desire to have a setup that's easy and quick, I'd avoid using two separate mics. On the other hand, I ALWAYS use two separate mics for stereo, because I want and need the positioning control offered, as noted above.

hth

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Best single-point Stereo mic $1000 or under. - Inmate51 21:55:07 02/21/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.