Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Looking for upgrade from dBx Driverack x-over

'...Why don't you want to make adjustments with a computer? I find it MUCH faster and MUCH easier to do it with a computer interface than fiddling around on the front panel...'

I would not object to a computer based x-over but they generally are not simple to implement/use. I use cmp^2 with a 40 mb xp operating system (my normal sized xp was 5 gb)so I dont have a lot of functionality left also. See cplay link in pc audio.

'..Your budget is not very high for more than the simplest of DSP's...'

Just asking.

'...You say you want steeper filters-do you realize the sonic "price" that comes with this? Possible ringing, extra signal delay and so forth.

Steeper is not always better. The best "sounding" filter is 6dB octave, but may not offer enough protection-especially for high freq devices.

Without knowing what the intended use is/system is etc, it is hard to say whether nor not steeper filters will actually help you...'

My thoughts were on some of the more esoteric crossovers (like the Thuneau Allocator)that in the digital domain cross at rates up to 100db/octave. Intended use is with Martin Logan Monolith III's. X-over at 250 hz.

'...You also said you want "lots of functionality". Exactly what does that mean? Do you want an open DSP that you can do anything with? If so, there are none of those that work without a computer interface to set them up.

Knowing more details about what you intend to do would help a lot...'

The functionality of the dbx is in my mind what I consider 'lots'...time delay, eq, choice of x-over (i.e, Linkwitz Riley, Bessel etc), x-over parameters (slope, freq).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.