Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

JBL Eon speakers: woofer surrounds coming loose

I don't usually do that much PA work, but a client of mine asked me to take a look at his JBL Eon powered speakers that "weren't sounding right." I think these may have had a rough life before he bought them and that exposure to the elements may be involved in what we found.

I'd never seen this before, but the cloth surround on both woofers has partially come loose from the speaker cone--so cleanly that it looks almost like they were never glued to begin with. On one, it's separated around almost half the circumference. The surrounds still appear to be firmly attached at the outer edges. The client understands that I'm slightly reluctant to take this on, but he says that he trusts me the most of any tech around and would rather that I took the first shot at the repair. I'm thinking that the surrounds could be reglued with standard latex speaker repair adhesive and that there's still enough surround attached such that I wouldn't have to remove the dust cap and re-shim the voice coil.

Has anyone else run across JBL Eons with this problem?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - JBL Eon speakers: woofer surrounds coming loose - Thermionic27609 16:46:39 11/10/11 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.