Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Great post, thank you. one last question:

Keeping in mind that we're talking about a 25 foot cable...

12 gauge twisted pair is the bomb. It has all the right curves. ;) Big, cheap. But, by comparison, 14 isn't going to sound like crap. Heck, it's only a knat's hair smaller. 12 gauge has been shown to effectively be the upper limit on speaker cable. Use 12, 14, or 16.

There's way too much hype about cables and their effect on the signal. I'd challenge anyone to prove an audible difference between 12 gauge and 18 gauge for the average high end stereo system at average levels.

Alpha Al is correct in that the larger the wire, the less resistance. The question is, does it matter? In most cases, the answer is no. Now, if you're pumping a bunch of watts into a low efficiency speaker at a high SPL, big wires will help.

I use 12 gauge twisted pair for my home speakers, not because it sounds better, but because it's one less thing to think about. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Great post, thank you. one last question: - Inmate51 11:03:42 10/27/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.