Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Looking for cheap but good quality subwoofer amp stable at 1 ohm load

I've speculated that it should be possible to tie the output sections of a stereo amp together so they're driven as a single channel from one channel's driver stage. MOSFETS could be most amenable to this since they're a mostly capacitive load, which should have a negligible effect at subwoofer frequencies.

A more cookbook approach which may have a higher probability of success is to use a suitable number of chip amps in parallel. Bridged if you want crazier power.

Otherwise, why bother, unless you have some esoteric subwoofer with a 1 ohm voice coil (like a DIY ContraBass)? Power amps are relatively dirt cheap thanks to "made in China". And, keep in mind that you maybe don't REALLY need as much power as you think for home use. I (temporarily) swapped in a fanless 40 wpc stereo amp (instead of a 400 wpc pro amp) and my subs were still plenty loud.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Looking for cheap but good quality subwoofer amp stable at 1 ohm load - bassbinotoko 00:07:12 10/24/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.