Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Quality XLR cables for stage use?

As Alpha Al and Zako have said, Belden 8412 and Switchcraft steel connectors. I suddenly feel a certain kinship with people I don't even know. I've made all of my own cables as far back as 30+ years ago, and they're still rock solid. 'Course, I don't drop the connectors on hard floors like most morons do.

A soldering tip: Put a piece of shrink tubing over each lead before soldering. Once you've done an excellent job of soldering, then move the tubing up over the connection and shrink it. That connection will never let you down.

Three usage tips: Never, ever, throw your connectors around on the floor like some used cigarette butt. That's askin' for trouble, and is the main cause of connector failure. Don't walk on your cables (duh). When the gig is done, coil your cables as if you care about them and understand the stresses on the braided shield - overhand, underhand, overhand, underhand. Treat 'em right, and they'll treat you right.

"the cheapest I could find". Well, then, he shouldn't be so frantic. He should have expected this and been prepared for it. Maybe he'll learn a lesson.

You might also consider upgrading your clientele. ;)

--------------------

"The problem with stereo systems is that they don't sound like real musical instruments."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.