Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Quality XLR cables for stage use?

I've gotten two frantic calls in the last week from a band whose members I do some tech work for concerning their PA not working right. They use JBL powered speakers and a Mackie 1202VLZ (old enough to be American-made). Each time, the claim has been "the speakers don't work right" or "something is wrong with the mixer." I've checked out both and can't find anything wrong with the speakers or the mixer--using my own cabling in my own workshop.

What these problems coincide with is the bandleader's purchase of some new XLR cables which he admits are "the cheapest I could find" via the suppliers to the music store where he works. They say "Sky USA" on the cable, but there are no other identifying marks on them.

So, what should I tell him to look for in terms of buying XLR cables that are made with quality cable and connectors? Is there any brand that's known to be a rugged, reliable industry-standard?

Or, since I'm a professional audio tech, I could make them some cables myself with raw cable and connectors. I make my own 1/4" interconnects and have never had one fail. The name I usually associate with quality XLR connectors is Neutrik.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Quality XLR cables for stage use? - Thermionic27609 10:13:22 10/12/11 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.