Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Studio monitor to tv connection question

Got no replies in the speaker section, so maybe one of you pro audio guys can help me out. I have a pair of active studio monitors that I used to use for recording sets back when I was a DJ. I no longer DJ but have been using the speakers to play music from my laptop in my room. The speakers have both 1/4" and XLR line in ports. To connect the laptop to the speakers I was using: mini stereo to RCA cable > female/female rca adapter > RCA to 1/4" cable into the speakers. Worked fine other than the typical buzz when the laptop was plugged in charging. I recently purchased an LCD tv for my room and decided to hook the speakers up to it rather than spend more money on new home speakers. The tv only has a mini stereo out, just like my laptop, so I used the same cable setup as I had on the laptop and it worked fine. So the other day one of the cables went out (it was very old) and I decide to try this wiring setup from the tv to the speakers: mini stereo to rca cable > female/female RCA adapter > RCA to XLR cable. The only thing that changed was I was using the XLR in instead of the 1/4" in on the speakers. NO SOUND. Does anybody know why I would not be getting any sound to the speakers? I know very little about wiring so not sure if there is some sort of compatibility conflict with going mini stereo to RCA to XLR.

I ordered a DI box which should arrive soon, and it has mini stereo, rca, and XLR inputs. I can try another wiring setup if needed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edits: 08/27/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Studio monitor to tv connection question - Surfin B 11:54:14 08/27/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.