Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: NO!

GR, are you saying "no!" to what Adriel did (and found sorely lacking in the desired results), or what Tom described (using both an outdoor approach as well as an indoor variant)?

Regarding the use of omni-directional mics, they're the best way to go. Cardioid, hyper-cardioid, etc. all pick up room reflections also, but with much more coloration than good omnis. I've never seen a cardioid mic with anywhere close to uniform response at more than about 45-60 degrees off-axis. Even the best ones sound noticeably different at 90 degrees compared to on-axis. Omnis also have an increasingly directional pattern at upper frequencies, but the effect is much less obvious than with cardioids.

A person could place the mics closer to the source, rather than at the usual listening position, as long as they're not so close that the balance of sound from individual drivers becomes an issue. But as long as the room is still a factor, omnis are the way to go.

Edits: 02/24/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.