Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Speaker Positioning

If you have enough cable, try a "quad" arrangement. 2 front, 2 rear. The effect outdoors can be very nice, since there's no mud from room resonances. Like wearing headphones, except they cover your entire body and are invisible.

Alternatively, if you have a Dolby Surround processor, try that, or maybe you can configure the Driverack to simulate one (rear = L-R plus a bunch of delay, 50 to 100 ms). (Or buy one on eBay for next to nothing if you can find one that's realistically priced.) On tracks with considerable out-of-phase content, this can be startlingly effective. For surround, the rear subs wouldn't do much, so I'd stick them up front, or feed them the same as the front subs.

Or, find some software that turns two into 4 channels and does interesting things. There's gotta be some app that can shift the sound field around, contract it to mono, expand it to enhanced stereo (something like Carver's Sonic Holography or Radio Shack's "Stereo-Wide"), maybe make it rotate.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Speaker Positioning - bassbinotoko 01:27:51 10/02/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.