Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: Anything better than Band In a Box for creating backing tracks?

I've been wrestling with this idea myself. Some random thoughts:

"Real" sounding tracks take awhile to create. Essentially it's like sitting down with Pro Tools, Cubase, or another program, and laying down tracks, one by one. Programs like the one you mention come with pre-recorded loops which can sound pretty good but still not "real." There are free backing tracks available on the Internet - just do a search - but most are pretty lame and the drum sounds are more like a beat box. Good pre-recorded tracks are available but you have to pay for the good ones, and if you do you have also paid a license fee in the process so no one will come chasing you to pay fees if you use these professionally. If you are just wanting something to practice with get yourself a couple of good loop pedals like one the Boss pedals or the Digitech Jam Man. The Jam Man allows you to build tracks by layering them. The memory card will hold 100 tracks, I believe. The Boss units come with realistic sounding drum samples. Look up Katy Tunstall doing some tunes with a looper at YouTube. She builds tracks, one by one, including percussion sounds. She's very good at this.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.