Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Using a computer as a live virtual synth?

Lately, I've been getting asked to play Hammond Organ for a couple of bands, but I don't have a good way, at present, of transporting my full-sized Hammond/Leslie setup, even though I do have organ moving dollies. Nor do I have the money for one of the nicer clones like a Nord.

However, I have an old computer sitting unused, a 2002 Quicksilver PowerMac G4 with dual 1ghz processors, an M-Audio 2496 MIDI and audio in/out card, and a Yamaha KX88 controller. I've tried out the demo version of GSI's VB3 organ emulation software, and it's actually very good, even to a vintage instrument purist like me. I've run it using Apple's AU Lab software.

I've never used a computer live as an instrument, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for making the setup as robust and reliable as possible. My main concern is that the computer was starting to be subject to random crashes before I replaced it as my main computer; I think the likely culprit is the power supply because I eliminated just about every other cause. This unit has the 240W Delta supply that Apple later replaced with a 344W AcBel supply, so I've bought a used 344W supply (currently in transit from the seller). The crashes are truly random; the computer will run perfectly for extended periods, but then lock up. They aren't repeatable.

Since I am getting a used supply, I was considering shotgunning all the electrolytics in it with something like the Panasonic FM series, thinking that that would get me closer to a new supply. Plus, the FM series is 105 degree/7,000 hour rated and known not to be subject to the "bad cap" phenomenon. Good idea? Bad idea?

I'll also need to get some sort of display to use as part of the control interface. I don't think I want to drag a 21" Sony CRT around (my spare monitor).

It occurs to me now that it might not be a bad idea to run it all from an uninterruptible power supply. In a way, I guess a laptop might be better since it essentially has the UPS built in and is more isolated from the AC line, but the only laptop I have is severely outdated and inadequate in terms of processing power.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Using a computer as a live virtual synth? - Thermionic27609 10:08:08 04/27/10 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.