Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

That depends on your ear-brain interface, in your listening space and what you like!

I've been an audiophile since I was 7 and now I'm 61. I've always subscribed and studied the latest issue of AUDIO (when it was published), was a member of the AES for some time, and been a DIY builder of audio gear first starting with Heathkits or Allied Knightkits and later graduating to designing and building from scratch. I've come to the conclusion that this industry is full of HYPE. They all, whether pro or consumer, HYPE but I'm sure that is no surprise. They are more interested in selling than they are in delivering QUALITY. You have to audition equipment that is sold on the market. Find a reputable dealer that will let you take amps home and try them out in your listening space with your speakers.

Most PRO equipment have balanced inputs which in the home you DON'T need IMHO and could be debated ad nauseum. Most Pro equipment is designed around 19 inch EIA RACK mount configurations which you may not want in the home if you have a wife that is home decor conscious. Your amp may be relegated to a closet or in the basement. Also rack mounting can cause ground loops if you are not a pro and know how to circumvent them. Ray

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • That depends on your ear-brain interface, in your listening space and what you like! - grhughes 08:56:50 03/26/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.