Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Try here....

Hi,

You were fortunate to hear some of the better installation for recording and mixdown. UREI gear remains some of the best available, IMHO.

As for its use in Home Theater installations, you'll need _lots_ of room and, to properly install them, be in the process of building out the room. See the link for one guy who has done what you're asking about. Talk about "Shock and Awe"!

The mighty UREI 813s came in 3 versions as the company went through sourcing and ownership changes so read up on how these varied. If you were hearing a set with Hafler gear of that age, I'd suspect you were listening to the 2nd or 3rd versions. The original 813s had Altec 604s, which after 30 years are likely going to need reconing. That's what happened to mine.

If you live in a larger metro area, you can find UREIs up for sale as well as that great virtual auction site. Just be prepared to spend some extra $$ to get them rebuilt.

For HT, I'd suggest you look at the UREI 809s, which were the smaller versions of the 811/813 series. They'll fit into a smaller room yet still give you the reproduction of the 813s - only less dynamic when being driven hard.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Try here.... - doodlebug 13:06:19 01/30/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.