Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Super Reverb Blackface Mod Question

A friend of mine asked me to take a look at his 1970 Fender Super Reverb, AA270 circuit; he's had problems with an output tube going into thermal runaway. He told me (several times) that he'd had the amp converted to Blackface specs by a previous tech, which, as far as I've been able to discover means making the relatively minor, but sonically significant circuit changes to the AB763 circuit.

The amp had been converted to adjustable bias and had the 100k 6L6GC grid resistors changed to 220k, but the PI plate resistors were still both 47k rather than 82k/100k. To my mind, changing the phase inverter resistor values seems one of the more significant parts of the mod--other than snipping the shunt capacitors on the 6L6GC grids.

Since I'm ignorant of this, did my friend get what he paid for when he paid for a "Blackface Mod" if the tech left the 12AT7 phase inverter plate resistors at their AA270 circuit values? To change one circuit to another makes sense to me. To change it halfway, but not all the way leaves me puzzled.

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - Super Reverb Blackface Mod Question - Thermionic27609 08:38:16 07/03/09 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.