Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Got any tips on my vocal mix?

I am running live sound in a mid-small venue with a metal ceiling and tile floors. It seems there is nothing i can do to get the vocals out in the mix.

I know the issue here is stage volume because when a quieter jass or acoustic band comes through there is no problem. With the louder bands i have been getting the amps on stage to a good level for the room but that doesn't help with loud drum sets.

My system is a decent 3-way Stereo (4 EV Qrx 153/75 Hi/mid combo 2 per side. With 4 18inch EV subs. 2 per side) with enough power (all QSC amps). I would think with a good eq setting it could get loud enough to get over the drums and still be worth listening to, even in this small, live room. I have even padded the ceiling above the stage with absorbent foam to try and get the cymbal noise down but it didn't help enough.
Should i get some more absorption on the wall behind the stage? Would it be worth the money?

I was thinking of adding some center fills above the stage. this would give would give a little more clarity at less pa volume. I think. or maybe it would just add more unnecessary noise.
Should i just get a small line array or what?

Any thoughts?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Got any tips on my vocal mix? - oughsosimple 14:31:24 04/23/09 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.